A seasoned leader with an esteemed military career, Chris Bijl has brought three decades of experience to Black Gold as a Senior Emergency Response Planner. He is certified to the Incident Command System 300 level and constantly strives to increase his knowledge about the industry.
Chris has spent the last ten years working directly with clients in the upstream and midstream oil and gas industry. His 28 years of operational and administrative experience as a senior manager in the Canadian Forces includes two United Nations tours as a Military Observer. This specialized training and experience gives Chris a unique advantage. He applies these skills today by helping clients prepare, coordinate and execute responses to all types of operational emergencies and threats.
Chris holds a B.A. from Saint Francis Xavier University and a B.Sc. in Information Technology from DeVry University.
Major (Retired) Bijl has received several awards for his work in the Departmental Advisory Group for Persons With Disabilities within the Department of National Defence:
- The Defence Diversity Council Certificate of Recognition.
- A Commander 41 Canadian Brigade Group Commendation.
- The Department of National Defence Human Resources Management Award in Employment Equity.
He has received the following medals for service with the Canadian Forces:
- Canadian Forces Service Medal for Peacekeeping (medal).
- United Nations Peacekeeping Medal for the United Nations Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) (medal).
- Canadian Forces Decoration with Clasp (medal).